Gerontology Practitioner Certificate
The West Virginia University School of Social Work Gerontology Practitioner Certificate is a multidisciplinary, continuing education-based program designed to extend the understanding of the process of aging and issues faced in this stage of the life course, as well as strengthen the skills of persons who work with older adults or who care for older loved ones. The program is directed at professionals and laypersons in West Virginia and surrounding areas and considers the unique problems and needs of older adults in Appalachia and other rural areas.
Gerontology Practitioner Certificate (GPC) Materials
The School of Social Work will be scaling back our continuing professional education offerings later in 2017. Our focus will be on the delivery of the Summer Institute on Aging conference each June, along with 1-2 full day workshops per academic year, online workshops related to gerontology, and the continuation of the 2,900+ member Professional & Community Education listserv.
There is a hold on accepting applications for the Gerontology Practitioner Certificate program. If you would like to be informed about future possible enrollment, contact Jacki Englehardt at firstname.lastname@example.org
* One Page Information Sheet
- Annual Reporting Form (DUE JAN. 15)
For additional information or questions, please contact Jacki Englehardt at email@example.com
CHECK OUT OUR SPRING 2017 CONTINUING EDUCATION WORKSHOPS!
WE WILL NO LONGER BE MAILING OUT BROCHURES LISTING CONTINUING EDUCATION WORKSHOPS.
You can download a PDF version of our Spring 2017 brochure
. Register online HERE, and make then pay online HERE.
You can also upload our interactive registration form if you wish to mail in your registration form and payment. Payment must accompany registration form.
Other Upcoming Approved GPC workshops
- Advanced Geriatrics Skills (AGES) 2017 Program (March 9 and 10, 2017, Charleston, WV). This event is approved for up to 14.75 GPC hours. For more information and to register click HERE. Click HERE for GPC approvals and HERE for GPC reporting form.
- Creating an Advance Care Plan Training sponsored by the WV Center for End-of-Life Care (April 5, 2017, Bridgeport, WV). This event is approved for up to 5.25 GPC hours. For more information and to register click HERE. Click HERE for GPC approvals and HERE for GPC reporting form.
- Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (OLLI) will host several workshops this Winter 2017. HERE is a listing of GPC approved workshops with dates and times. Additional information about OLLI can be found HERE . Find the reporting form for attendance HERE .
- Sex, Drugs, and Almost Rock and Roll (online) January 15- March 15, 2017. This is a self-paced course, enrollment accepted until March 1, 2017. Cost: $85, taught by Lori Fell, MSW, MDiv, Program Director Persad Center, Pittsburgh, PA. Approved for 6 Category 1 Social Work hours in WV and 6 Gerontology Practitioner Certificate hours (3 hours Psychosocial Processses & Mental Health in Older Adults and 3 hours Physiological Processes and Health in Older Adults). Click here for more information and to register.
- Rural Gerontology (online) February 15 – April 15, 2017. This is a self-paced course, enrollment accepted until April 1, 2017. Cost $85, taught by Dr. Kristina Hash, Professor, WVU School of Social Work. Approved for 6 Category I Social Work hours in WV (licensed social workers from other states, please consult your licensing board) and 6 Gerontology Practitioner Certificate hours (Aspects of Rural Aging). Click here for more information and to register.
- End-of-Life Care (online) March 15-May 15, 2017. Approved for 6 social work CE hours. This is a self-paced course, enrollment accepted until May 1, 2017. Cost $85, taught by Mr. James A. Keresztury, LCSW, ACSW, MBA, Mountains of Hope Cancer Coalition Mary Babb Randolph Cancer Center, Robert C. Byrd Health Sciences Center. Approved for 6 Category I Social Work hours in WV (licensed social workers from other states, please consult your licensing board) and 6 GPC hours (2 hours Social Policy and Aging, 1.5 hours Ethics and Aging, and 2.5 hours Psychosocial Processes and Mental Health in Older Adults). Click here for more information or to register.
- Home Health Quality Improvement University Online Courses These courses provided by HHQI University are free. See a listing of GPC approvals HERE . Click HERE for more information regarding registration for the courses. Browse the complete course catalog HERE.
- Dementia Care Training (Online) Open enrollment, participants can enroll at any time. There are three courses for this program; you can register for the courses individually or register for the full program. For additional information and to register for the course [or any portion of the course], click HERE. There is an additional CEU cost is $20 per course, or $60 for the full program. If you would like to mail your payment, please fill out our interactive payment form HERE . To pay online, please click HERE. This workshop has been approved for 34 GPC hours; for approval form, click HERE .
To view a listing of online webcasts for GPC credits through Geriatrics Lunchtime Learning click here.
To view of listing of approved archived GPC sessions click here
If you would like to receive upcoming notices regarding the Gerontology Practitioner Certificate, join our listserv by sending an email here.
The WVU School of Social Work offers a number of additional certificate programs. Click the links below to learn more about the Graduate Certificate in Gerontology, the Undergraduate Certificate in Gerontology, the , and the Continuing Education Certificate in Nonprofit Management* Updating Your Policy Toolbox: Aging, Retirement and Healthcare (online course, September 15-November 15, 2016). This is a self-paced course, enrollment accepted until November 1, 2016. Cost $85, taught by Mandy Weirich, MSW. Approved for 6 Category I Social Work hours in WV (licensed social workers from other states, please consult your licensing board) and 6 Gerontology Practitioner Certificate hours (Social Policy and Aging). For more information and to register, click here.