Gerontology Practitioner Certificate
The West Virginia University School of Social Work Gerontology Practitioner Certificate is a multidisciplinary, continuing education-based program designed to extend the understanding of the process of aging and issues faced in this stage of the life course, as well as strengthen the skills of persons who work with older adults or who care for older loved ones. The program is directed at professionals and laypersons in West Virginia and surrounding areas and considers the unique problems and needs of older adults in Appalachia and other rural areas.
Gerontology Practitioner Certificate (GPC) Materials
- Annual Reporting Form (DUE JAN. 15)
For additional information or questions, please contact Jacki Englehardt at firstname.lastname@example.org
Other Upcoming Approved GPC workshops
- The Alzheimer’s Association is hosting, Alzheimer’s & Dementia University for Families and Professionals workshops throughout the state (Various locations May 1-June 8, 2015). To learn more about the dates and locations of the workshops CLICK HERE . To access the listing of GPC approvals CLICK HERE . To access the Reporting Form CLICK HERE.
- Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (OLLI) will host several workshops in the summer of 2016 in Morgantown. HERE is a listing of GPC approved workshops with dates and times. In total, there are 13 GPC hours available. Additional information about OLLI and how to register for courses can be found HERE . Find the reporting form for attendance HERE . Participants must attend all session dates and times of sessions to receive the hours.
- End-of-Life Care (online workshop) May 15-July 15, 2016. Approved for 6 social work CE hours. This is a self-paced course, enrollment accepted until July 1st. Cost $85, taught by Mr. James A. Keresztury, LCSW, ACSW, MBA, Mountains of Hope Cancer Coalition Mary Babb Randolph Cancer Center, Robert C. Byrd Health Sciences Center. Approved for 6 Category I Social Work hours in WV (licensed social workers from other states, please consult your licensing board) and 6 GPC hours (2 hours Social Policy and Aging, 1.5 hours Ethics and Aging, and 2.5 hours Psychosocial Processes and Mental Health in Older Adults). Click here for more information or to register.
- Dementia Care Training (Online) Open enrollment, participants can enroll at anytime. Additional information and registration can be found here. This has been approved for 34 GPC hours and you can find approval listings here.
To view a listing of online webcasts for GPC credits through Geriatrics Lunchtime Learning click here.
To view of listing of approved archived GPC sessions click here
If you would like to receive upcoming notices regarding the Gerontology Practitioner Certificate, join our listserv by sending an email here.
The WVU School of Social Work offers a number of additional certificate programs. Click the links below to learn more about the Graduate Certificate in Gerontology, the Undergraduate Certificate in Gerontology, the , and the Continuing Education Certificate in Nonprofit Management.