Gerontology Practitioner Certificate
The Gerontology Practitioner Certificate is accepting enrollment!
The West Virginia University School of Social Work Gerontology Practitioner Certificate is a multidisciplinary, continuing education-based program designed to extend the understanding of the process of aging and issues faced in this stage of the life course, as well as strengthen the skills of persons who work with older adults or who care for older loved ones. The program is directed at professionals and laypersons in West Virginia and surrounding areas and considers the unique problems and needs of older adults in Appalachia and other rural areas.
Gerontology Practitioner Certificate (GPC) Materials
- One page information sheet
- Application/Information Booklet
- GPC Application Only
- Workshop Approval Request Form
- Annual Reporting Form (due January 15)
For additional information or questions, please contact Jacki Englehardt at firstname.lastname@example.org
Other Upcoming Approved GPC workshops
- Summer Institute on Aging, June 7-9, 2016, Lakeview Resort & Conference Center, Morgantown, WV. There are up to 19.75 GPC hours available. To view a listing of GPC approvals, click here . To view participant brochure and to register go to http://www.wvsioa.org/registration/
- The 8th Annual Aging Well Workshop “When Should We Worry? Ethical Issues In Services For Older Adults” (May 5, 2016 Shepherdstown, WV) To view more information for the workshop, including the agenda, click here. To view a list of GPC approvals, click here . For a reporting form, click here .
- West Virginia Diabetes Symposium and Workshop: Bridging the Gap with Education (May 4-6, 2016, Morgantown, WV). Has been approved for up to 15.5 GPC credit hours. For a listing of GPC approvals, click HERE . For more information regarding locations and registration click HERE. For a reporting form, click HERE .
- End-of-Life Care (online workshop) May 15-July 15, 2016. Approved for 6 social work CE hours. This is a self-paced course, enrollment accepted until July 1st. Cost $85, taught by Mr. James A. Keresztury, LCSW, ACSW, MBA, Mountains of Hope Cancer Coalition Mary Babb Randolph Cancer Center, Robert C. Byrd Health Sciences Center. Approved for 6 Category I Social Work hours in WV (licensed social workers from other states, please consult your licensing board) and 6 GPC hours (2 hours Social Policy and Aging, 1.5 hours Ethics and Aging, and 2.5 hours Psychosocial Processes and Mental Health in Older Adults). Click here for more information or to register.
- 2016 Spring NASW WV Conference (April 27-29, 2016 in Charleston WV). Registration form and brochure . Approved for 18.5 GPC hours and you can find approvals here . Use the reporting form provided by NASW WV as your proof of attendance (have it signed at end of conference).
- Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (OLLI) will host several workshops in the spring of 2016. HERE is a listing of GPC approved workshops with dates and times. Additional information about OLLI can be found HERE . In total, there are 26.5 GPC hours available. Find the reporting form for attendance HERE . Participants must attend all session dates and times of sessions to receive the hours.
- Rural Gerontology (online) March 15 – May 15, 2016. This is a self-paced course, enrollment accepted from January 12 – May 1, 2016. Cost $85, taught by Dr. Kristina Hash, Professor, WVU School of Social Work. Approved for 6 Category I Social Work hours in WV (licensed social workers from other states, please consult your licensing board) and 6 Gerontology Practitioner Certificate hours (Aspects of Rural Aging). This is a self-paced course, enrollment accepted until May 1, 2016. Click here for more information and to register.
- Dementia Care Training (Online) Open enrollment, participants can enroll at anytime. Additional information and registration can be found here. This has been approved for 34 GPC hours and you can find approval listings here.
To view a listing of online webcasts for GPC credits through Geriatrics Lunchtime Learning click here.
To view of listing of approved archived GPC sessions click here
If you would like to receive upcoming notices regarding the Gerontology Practitioner Certificate, join our listserv by sending an email here.
The WVU School of Social Work offers a number of additional certificate programs. Click the links below to learn more about the Graduate Certificate in Gerontology, the Undergraduate Certificate in Gerontology, the , and the Continuing Education Certificate in Nonprofit Management.