Master of Social Work (MSW)
This program educates graduate students in advanced integrated social work practice with individuals, families, groups, communities, and social administration. The focus of this education is to produce competent and effective practitioners committed to enhancing social well-being and quality of life with particular emphasis on vulnerable and oppressed populations in small towns and rural areas characteristic of the Appalachian region.
All students will specialize in Advanced Integrated Practice. The curriculum prepares students to integrate micro, mezzo, and macro practice skills across service sectors and within interdisciplinary teams to effectively address social and human problems across a wide range of practice areas, with a particular emphasis on effective models of rural service delivery. Both the BSW and the MSW programs are nationally accredited by the Council for Social Work Education (CSWE).
- Domestic applicants: Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university
- International applicants: Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution. You are considered an international applicant if you are not a citizen or permanent resident of the United States. (*note: international applicants living outside of the United States are not eligible to apply to the online MSW program.)
- Domestic applicants who have received a BSW from a Council on Social Work Education-accredited program within the last eight years may apply for advanced standing.
- International applicants who have received a BSW from a Council on Social Work Education-accredited program, recognized through its International Social Work Degree Recognition and Evaluation Services, or covered under a memorandum of understanding with international social work accreditors within the last eight years may apply for advanced-standing. (*note: international applicants living outside the United States are not eligible to apply to the online MSW program)
- Full or part time options
- Full time advanced standing students complete the degree in one calendar year (May/summer admission)
- Part time advanced standing students complete the degree in 2 years (fall admission)
- Full time regular standing students complete the degree in 2 years (fall admission)
- Part time regular standing students complete the degree in 3 years (fall admission)
For more information, contact MSW Admissions & Recruitment at firstname.lastname@example.org or 304-293-3280.
- Part time with fall admission only
- In state tuition regardless of residency
- Advanced standing students complete the degree in 2 years
- Regular standing students complete the degree in 3 years
- Applicants can apply to both the on campus and online programs, each requiring a separate application and fees.
- Frequently Asked Questions
Once students have begun coursework in either online or on campus programs, they are not permitted to switch.
Deadlines for applications for Summer and Fall 2020 admission
**Summer 2021 and Fall 2021 applicants - updated application guidelines and requirements will be available in mid-August 2020.
Advanced Standing (Full Time)
- January 15 is the deadline for summer admission*. Students applying by this deadline will be given preference for graduate assistantships and scholarships. *Submission of an Advanced Standing (full time) application between January 15 and March 1 will be considered after March 1.
Regular Standing (Full and Part Time) and Advanced Standing (Part Time)
- January 15 is the priority deadline*. Applications submitted by January 15 will be given preference for graduate assistantships and scholarships.
- March 1 is the standard deadline*. All applications must be submitted by March 1 for consideration.
Regular and Advanced Standing (Part Time Only)
- February 1 is the priority deadline.* Applications submitted by February 1 will be given preference for scholarships.
- April 15 is the standard deadline.* Applications submitted between February 4 and April 15 will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- June 12 is the extended deadline for Advanced Standing applicants only. If you have a bachelor's degree in Social Work within the last 8 years you can still apply to our online program.