Skip to main content

Funding Resources

Graduate Assistantships (MSW)
T he School of Social Work awards several GAs to MSW students each year. Awards are open to both new and returning students. New students interested in this opportunity must first apply by the priority deadline, January 15th , to be considered. After a student is accepted into the MSW program they are then invited to apply. This process is competitive and available to on campus MSW students only. GA positions cover tuition and include a small stipend in exchange for 16-20 hours of work per week, and typically begin at the start of the Fall semester and run though the end of Spring. Students may also search for GA positions outside of  the School of Social Work by contacting departments individually and using the Handshake search tool. Learn more

Merit Based Waivers (MSW)

Students need a 4.0 GPA to apply for merit based tuition waivers and the earliest one can apply is during their second semester in the program  for the following semester. On average, 1-3 credit tuition waivers, each equal to the cost of 1 credit hour,  are awarde d, to support part-time and full-time students. Merit based waivers are open to any graduate student in the on campus MSW program. 

Training Programs (BSW & MSW)

Leadership  Education in  Neurodevelopmental and Related  Disabilities (LEND(on campus MSW students only).
The purpose of the LEND training program is to improve the health of infants, children, and adolescents with disabilities. This program provides long-term, graduate level interdisciplinary training as well as interdisciplinary services and care. Trainees are offered full tuition coverage and a monthly stipend.  Learn more. 

Rural Integrative Behavioral Health Training Program-RIBHT (on campus MSW students only).
The RIBHT program prepares MSW students for integrated behavioral health (mental health and substance abuse) practice across the lifespan. Trainees funded in this program engage in additional training and program activities and receive $10,000 in stipend support during completion of their advanced field placement. Learn More

Title IV-E Child Welfare Training Program (on campus and online BSW & MSW). 
The Title IV-E program is for students interested in child welfare, adoption, and child protection areas. It is available to both part-time and full-time students, and provides tuition coverage and a monthly stipend. Students must be employed or be eligible to be employed at WV Department of Health and Human Resources (DHHR) and commit to completing their field education requirements with DHHR in child welfare (i.e. child protective services, youth services, foster care, and adoption). Online MSW students are eligible but must complete field placement and work obligations in WV.  Learn more

Employee Education Reimbursement and Leave (EER/L) Program
Current DHHR employees, who have completed their probationary period, may be eligible for the department's Employee Education Reimbursement and Leave (EER/L) program.  To qualify for the EER/L program, you must be seeking a degree or courses which directly relate to maintaining or improving your existing position within DHHR.  Details on the application process are available by emailing , or by calling 304-558-6700.

Strengthening Training for Addiction Recovery (STAR) Project (on campus and online BSW & MSW)
The STAR project will guide, prepare and encourage student social workers to begin their careers in Substance Use Disorders (SUD) settings.  Both BSW and MSW students are eligible to apply for one of ten STAR Scholarships. The $3000 scholarships are available for Fall 2020 and Spring 2021.  The scholarship recipients will commit to completing their field education practicum in a SUD related setting and regular STAR Scholar meetings. Recipients will also be assisted in securing employment in a WV SUD services setting through advisement and professional networking assistance.  Learn more. 

Scholarships (BSW & MSW)

Scholarships are available to juniors and seniors in the social work program, as well as incoming and returning master's students. For MSW's applying to the program you can find specific instructions  here.  Although these awards are helpful, they will not cover full tuition costs (average award is between $1000 to $1500). Scholarships are open to full, part-time, and online students and applications are made available typically in February/March of each year. Note that not all scholarships are available each year.

Terry E. Armentrout Scholarship (BSW/MSW)
This scholarship is available to students who show financial need. A minimum GPA of 3.0 with recognized potential in the School of Social Work must be shown. Applicant must be a Native-born West Virginian. Both BSW and MSW students may apply with preference given to BSW students.

Barrett Community Development Scholarship (MSW)
For graduate students in the School of Social Work at WVU who are making acceptable progress toward their degree and have high academic performance.  The recipient's graduate work must emphasize community development and community organization. Preference will be given to students from West Virginia who plan to remain in the state for their careers and/or students who need the support of this award to complete an internship or community placement as part of their education.

Dr. Eleanor Blakely “Pay It Forward” Scholarship (MSW)
Available to graduate (MSW) students in the School of Social Work. Recipients shall demonstrate academic promise and reflect some or all of the characteristics exhibited by Dr. Blakely; leadership abilities, enthusiasm for academic work, pride in the social work profession, potential for professional involvement, compassion, and generosity of spirit.

Kirby Lee Brawner Scholarship (BSW/MSW)
This scholarship is for students who wish to work and remain in the State of West Virginia. Applicant must have attended a West Virginia high school, demonstrate financial need, and have at least a 3.0 GPA.

Department of Welfare Scholarship (BSW)
For BSW students who plan to pursue a career in public welfare. Applicants must demonstrate financial need and be in good academic standing (3.0 GPA). 

Helen Steele Ellison Scholarship (BSW/MSW)
For natives of West Virginia. Preference for this scholarship will be given to a female. Both BSW and MSW students may apply.

Patricia W. Johnson Social Work Scholarship (BSW)
This scholarship is for BSW students in good academic standing (3.0 GPA).
Connie Lynn Kade Graduate Social Work Scholarship (MSW)
This scholarship is available to MSW students who are in good academic standing (3.0 GPA) and demonstrate financial need. The recipient must be a native of (born in) West Virginia, but does not have to be a current permanent resident.

Caroline T. Mudd Alumni Endowed Scholarship (BSW/MSW)
This scholarship is for BSW or MSW students in the School of Social Work.

Charles Richter Reusing Social Work Scholarship (MSW)
This endowment shall provide scholarships for graduate students attending West Virginia University in the School of Social Work. Recipients shall be making satisfactory academic progress and demonstrate financial need as demonstrated by the FAFSA and/or the WVU Office of Financial Aid. Recipients shall be determined by the WVU Office of Financial Aid. Funds shall be awarded in the name of the Charles Richter Reusing Social Work Endowed Scholarship.

Lisa N. Rocco Social Work Scholarship (BSW)
For BSW students who demonstrate a 3.0 GPA and financial need. 

Social Work General Scholarship Fund (BSW/MSW) 
A general scholarship fund for undergraduate and graduate social work students.  

Other Scholarships (BSW & MSW)

Scholarships and a Teaching Assistant position.

$2000 award for students who complete an essay or video essay in life lessons from a senior. Deadline is May 1 2019. 

The Melanie Foundation Scholarship is a $2,500 scholarship to be awarded to a candidate pursuing a doctoral or master’s degree in the mental health field.

The Davis-Putter Scholarship Fund aids people active in movements for social and economic justice. These need-based scholarships are awarded to students who are able to do academic work at the college or university level or are enrolled in a trade or technical program and who are active in the progressive movement. Applications due April 1 and up to $15,000 in awards. 

Financial Aid (BSW & MSW)

Tuition Rates (2019-2020)Tuition varies depending on your residency. For the 2019-2020 school year:
  • 1 undergraduate credit hour costs $409 (fees included) for residents and $1,111 for non-residents. Learn more. 
  • 1 graduate credit hour costs $606 (fees included) for residents and $1,529 for non-residents. Learn more.
  • WVU Tuition Calculator
Financial Aid: Complete your FAFSA by the March 1 deadline.  WVUs Federal Code is 003827. Learn more.